Have you been thinking about umpiring? Would you like to give it a try? Contact Tori Yokoyama at email@example.com
2020 Clinics & Training Dates!
Rules Clinic: All managers, coaches, and umpires must attend
2/12 Norman P Murray Community Center 6-9
Mechanics Clinics: All umpires must attend. Earn umpire points for your team for attending this clinic.
Sat, 2/8 hosted by North Mission Viejo LL (YAP) 8am to noon
Sun, 2/16 hosted by Ladera Ranch LL (Cox Park on Crown Valley) Noon to 3pm
Youth Umpire Training: All youth umpires must attend.
Sun, 2/9 Youth umpires at Viejo LL (Lower Gilleran on Felipe) Noon to 3pm
Link to Umpire Schedule below:
Each team has a certain volunteer requirement on # of umpire points they need to hit. Each game is worth 3 to 5+ points depending on the level.
Tball/Coach Pitch - 12 points
Single A - 25 points
AA, AAA, and Majors - 50 points
Juniors - 25 points
For new users, create a new account, hit “send request,” then you will receive an automated email in return with your username.
For returning users, update your account with your new team name:
Fill in your team name. Please follow this format:
Then sign up to umpire games based on your comfort level. If you’ve never umpired before, start with Single A. Returning umpires should do AA and AAA. You shouldn't umpire games in your own division, but reach out to Tori directly if you want to discuss any of this further.
LINKS TO MECHANICS INFORMATION
Small Diamond 3 Man Mechanics
- With no runners on base PU will have fair foul to the base and UI and U3 will have it at the base and beyond (pane of glass). PU will have all catch/no catch unless U1 or U3 goes out; then remaining umpires will revert to two man mechanics. PU will only verbalize a CATCH. PU should trail the BR to 1st if he believes there is an opportunity for a play at 1st, if not, he should be prepared to move up the 3rd base foul line for a play at 3rd
- With a ball hit within infield or a base hit to the outfield, U3 (positioned on 3B foul line (D) will move into working area to take the BR to 2B. If that takes place, PU will move toward 3B and take the BR to 3B announcing, “I’ve got third if he comes.” U1, who began in the A position, will remain in foul territory watching for any throw back to 1B. Once the BR releases and commits to 2B, U1 will rotate to HP (point-of-plate).
- With R1, U3 will begin in C position with U1 in A. PU will communicate a 1st to 3rd possibility and receive acknowledgement. See rotation in #2 above if R1 proceeds to 3B.
- With any R2, U1 will begin in the B position with U3 in the D position. U1 will be responsible for all plays at 2B and all plays at 1B. U3 will have all plays at 3B. PU will have all plays at HP.
- With R3 only, U1 will begin in the A position with U3 in the D position. U1 will be responsible for all plays at 1B and 2B. U3 will be responsible for R3’s retouch of 3B and all plays at 3B. If U3 goes out on a trouble ball, PU has touch or re-touch at 3rd. If U1 goes out, U3 breaks to working area, has responsibility for 1st and 2nd bases, PU has touch or re-touch at 3rd. PU will be responsible for all plays at HP.
- With R1 and R3 (or bases loaded), U1 will begin in the B position with U3 in the D position (see #4 above).
Please always keep in mind that it is important that you know where the ball is, your shoulders squared to it, do not anticipate where you will think it will go.
||Little League Umpire Resource Center at LittleLeagueUmpire.org. Complete resources for the Little League volunteer umpire. Here you can read the rules, join the Umpire Registry, and more. Click-->
||Want to "up your game?" Attend Wester Region's One Week Adult Umpire School in San Bernardino. Spend a week learning the two man game, and living the Umpire Brotherhood. Click-->
||Here are helpful hints for both the novice umpire, and the old vet. Read this 14 page Umpire Guidelines booklet, and learn just one thing you didn't know before. Print it out and read it over coffee. Click-->
||Stump the Ump. Think you know your rules and situations? Take the challenge. Test your knowledge. Impress your friends. Click-->
||Need to brush up on rules? Here is an online resource you can use. Three versions ready to print out, in case you do not have a Green Book or need to quickly look something up. Click-->